PA's Online ATVing Resource

Recently Posted
Any cabin or acreage owners with advice?
by rjk2k7
10/01/18 12:36 PM
can am dis recall
by topgun
09/27/18 11:38 AM
ANF Fall weekend
by topgun
09/27/18 11:12 AM
ATV Connector Trail Study
by John1960
09/26/18 06:02 PM
Follow Our Blog
by JB #BrappMag
09/25/18 08:43 AM
Regional News and Info
by John1960
09/26/18 06:02 PM
Upcoming Rides and Events
Newly Added Topics
Used TOY HAULER for sale:2015 Puma Unleashed 32TFB travel trailer RV
by Lerch RV
10/09/18 09:21 AM
Any cabin or acreage owners with advice?
by Darkstorm
09/29/18 05:45 PM
can am dis recall
by Bobby
09/25/18 11:49 AM
Follow Our Blog
by JB #BrappMag
09/25/18 08:43 AM
ANF Fall weekend
by Busted Bead
09/20/18 07:11 PM
by mikeexplorer
09/24/17 06:32 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3902 - 02/16/11 10:15 PM What tires do you like?
magoo Offline
addict

Loc: Schellsburg , Pa
Thinking about getting new tires for the Honda. What do you recommend? Where do you recommend to get them? Any and all help would be great. thankyou

#3905 - 02/16/11 11:02 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
Myleslong Offline

Loc: Lycoming County, PA
Describe to us how you would use the bike to help us better understand the type of tires you may need. LOL!! I Like The ITP 589's. They are heavy, 6 ply, I have never put a plug in either set I have ever owned, and you can run them completely out of air. LOL!!! Mine leaked cause I like dinging my rims off of rocks. LOL!! So I guess with that said maybe they don't have good rim protection. Some people like radials, I DO NOT!!! Almost every time I have been envolved with fixing a flat, it was almost always a radial. Thats my experience with radials. My wifes cousins have on thier fleet of Honda's ITP Mud Lights and they love them. The tire I would have liked to buy is a Pitbull Rocker, they are sweet and I have seen them in action. They are kinda expensive though. I now have Maxxis Zilla's and so far so good. They have already proven to be better than half bald tires a few times. BAH HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

#3908 - 02/17/11 12:11 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
magoo Offline
addict

I would like something with a nice ride. No deep mud mostly trails little hill climbing, rock climbing and good in snow.
Thanks for any help!!!

#3909 - 02/17/11 12:54 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
4x4dad Offline

Loc: Butler , Pennsylvania , USA
I agree with Chris . Pit Bull Rockers will be my next tire. But from how you say you ride , I would say Big Horns fit the bill pretty well .

#3914 - 02/17/11 07:16 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
Djm026 Offline

Loc: Latrobe,Pa
I have the Maxxis Bighorns and love them. All around good tire. Not a mud tire but does ok.Call these guys they have good prices http://www.instigatorracing.com/

#3920 - 02/17/11 11:10 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
RZRDAD Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Butler, PA
I have the Terra Cross tires and they have been working out well. They are softer than the Bighorns though which might speed up their replacement! One of them started to scale badly at 18 miles and I found this from the little rubber chunks in my driveway. I was shocked, but the dealer replaced it with no questions ask. I hope more people respond to this question as we all will think about this issue at some point. It's great to get first hand opinions. Happy hunting.

#3921 - 02/17/11 11:55 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: Myleslong]
**sTinKfOot** Offline
old hand

Loc: Chester Co. PA
Originally Posted By: chris
Some people like radials, I DO NOT!!! The tire I would have liked to buy is a Pitbull Rocker

Isn't the Rocker a radial?? Do they make it in Bias for ATV now?

#3922 - 02/17/11 12:41 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
Mcfly Offline

Loc: Formerly from C-town
I would go with the Pitbull Rockers or the Maxxis Bighorns. The are a great trail tire. They tend to be a little pricey but they are well worth it. The Maxxis Zillas are also a great tire but they dont last quite as long as the others stated. If it were me, my money would be on the Pitbull Rockers. The trail ride exceptionally well, are good for rock crawling/rocky areas. Do pretty well in the snow as well and have some moderate mud capabilities.

What ever you do, stay away from the ITP mudiltes. Been through these tires on one of mine and a few friends. You'll be plugging tires left and right if your riding on anything but groomed trails.

#3929 - 02/17/11 04:27 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: **sTinKfOot**]
Myleslong Offline

Is it realy a radial? LOL!! I'm looking that up. http://www.pitbulltires.com/rocker_atv.php
DOGGONE IT!!! Well maybe I could like the Pitbull Rocker RADIAL! LOL!! I still would rather have a Bias Ply though. LOL!!!

#3937 - 02/17/11 10:12 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: Myleslong]
CTD06 Offline

Loc: Central PA
I have the Maxxis Zilla's and like them so far, but they are probably a bit more of a mud tire. I would like to get a second set of tires for summer and would probably get the bighorns. From what I hear they are very good tires. GBC seems to make some nice tires for all terrains, like the reaper, sparticus, dirt commander, and the dirt tammer (which is like a big horn). Had a set of dirt devils that were good but other than that, no other experience with GBC.

I like RockyMountainATV.com. I've found some really good deals on there site.

#3940 - 02/17/11 10:22 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
Wheelie man Offline
enthusiast

Loc: S.E P.A
i have the Big horns and love them. Great Tire. i got mine in 05 or 06 and still have them on. i am not easy on them. I do try to stay off the road. i have all most 2k miles on them and still have a lot left.

01 Banshee
07 OutLaw 525 IRS
04 sportman 700
2010 Can-Am ds250
1979 ford f350 460 with 500hp, 15" lift with 44x19.5 boggers.

#3941 - 02/17/11 10:25 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
magoo Offline
addict

1st off thanks for all the input!!
I was looking at the Big Horn and found a tire that some have said is just like the Big Horn, They are Duro Power Grip. They are a radial, never had radial and some of you have said you don't like them so still not sure. Found them on Rocky Mountain. Price is a little cheaper then the Big Horn and have good reviews. Anyone know of anyone using these?

#3950 - 02/17/11 11:18 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
Mcfly Offline

There is nothing wrong with a radial. They will actually have a mich better ride on trails that are hard pack as that is what they are designed for. Dont shy away from them. Their rubber compound is very hard and is usually harder than a bias ply tire. I never had any experience with the Duro Power Grips but hsve dealt with radials and have good experiences with them so far

#3955 - 02/18/11 01:44 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: Mcfly]
magoo Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: Mcfly
There is nothing wrong with a radial. They will actually have a mich better ride on trails that are hard pack as that is what they are designed for. Dont shy away from them. Their rubber compound is very hard and is usually harder than a bias ply tire. I never had any experience with the Duro Power Grips but hsve dealt with radials and have good experiences with them so far

Thanks Mcfly, You got me thinking maybe a Radial. I have 5 compressed disc in my back and need the extra soft ride if you know what I mean.That's why I stated I needed something with a good ride. Every little bit helps the old back.lol

#3959 - 02/18/11 07:34 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
Wheelie man Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: magoo
They are Duro Power Grip.

I was told they are softer than the big horns and will wear out faster....I do not Know for sure just what i was told. If that is the case than they might not be cheaper in the long run if you have to buy 2 sets to the one.
01 Banshee
07 OutLaw 525 IRS
04 sportman 700
2010 Can-Am ds250

#3961 - 02/18/11 08:21 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
Hammer07 Offline
addict

Loc: Indiana County
i put a set of Duro Power Grips on my 660 when the odometer was showing a little over 1400 miles. i currently have slightly over 4000 miles on the ticker. i wouldn't worry about them wearing out quickly! they still have approximately 10/32nds of tread on them. for the price difference i'd never buy a set of Bighorns.

GrizzlyRidersForums
Rocks&Ruts.com

#3962 - 02/18/11 08:39 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
kansascav24 Offline

Loc: Warren, PA
I just bought a set of Sedona Rip Saw's from my local dealer in Warren. They are a 6 ply radial, at a non-radial price! I was originally looking at the mudlites, but the salesman mentioned these. Everyone I have talked to around here absolutely love them. Quite a few of the guys that run around all day checking the oil wells around here have them. Great for trail riding too! I think I spent just over $400 on 26" tires, so overall, not a bad price!

You can check them out here... http://www.sedonatires.com/
ATV-Guru Front Tie Down
Warn 2500lb Winch
Tamarack Deluxe Lounger w/ LED
Kimpex Fender Protectors w/ Footpegs
55" Moose Plow

#3964 - 02/18/11 09:12 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: kansascav24]
CTD06 Offline

The Carlisle ACT (I think) that come on the Can-Am's look to be nice tires. They are a radial and look like they would have ok traction for being an OEM tire. I think they are a bit pricey though.

#3967 - 02/18/11 10:08 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
Hammer07 Offline
addict

that ACT is like the RAZR4's from Maxxis? they look like they'd make a good tire for GNCC racing, or mild trail riding.

i have also heard great things about the reptiles from interco, but they are expensive!

the Duro is a 6 ply Radial. the only flat i have had in the 2500 plus miles was because i caught a rock at a weird angle at SSRT. i have had them to 4 of the trail systems at H/M, they've been to SSRT, Rock Run, Elkland, Tri-County and more. i really haven't found a terrain that they don't do well in. they're not great mud tires, but they can hold their own!

GrizzlyRidersForums
Rocks&Ruts.com

#3968 - 02/18/11 10:37 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
CTD06 Offline

Oh I was talking about the ACT-HD. It's got a directional tread pattern like a 589 or mudlite,

http://www.carlisletire.com/products/atv/act_hd/index.html

They also have a standard 3ply version of that. Again I don't know how they really are but the HD looks like it would be an ok tire and they are radials too. I still would go with a bighorn or duro or similar design tire because it's a proven design that is tough to beat.

#3977 - 02/18/11 12:45 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
Hammer07 Offline
addict

thats not a bad looking tire. i guess i was thinking of the ITP ATR

GrizzlyRidersForums
Rocks&Ruts.com

#3978 - 02/18/11 12:47 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
Mcfly Offline

Alot of times you have to watch when talking about the "Ply" of a tire. Alot of manufacturers out there will state "My tire is 6 ply...blah blah blah" when in reality the only thing that is 6 ply is the tread portion of the tire. The sidewalls end up being 2 or 3 ply and end up getting all the damage. The sidewalls are what always concerns me on tires. Most of the time the tread bar can be patched or plugged but if you get a gash in the sidewall, it could be lights out for that tire.

#3979 - 02/18/11 01:51 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: Mcfly]
CTD06 Offline

That's a good point.

#3980 - 02/18/11 02:31 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: CTD06]
4x4dad Offline

Loc: Butler , Pennsylvania , USA
Originally Posted By: CTD06
That's a good point.

Good info . I did'nt realize that iether.

#3982 - 02/18/11 02:49 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
Mcfly Offline

There are a few tires out there that actually have the sidewall the same ply as the tread bar portion. These tires generally wind up being a little heavier than others (obviously more rubber compound). I know GBC is one of the few that actually has their sidewalls rated the same as the rest of the tire. ITP has the 589's that are a heavy sidewall. I know my Mudzillas on the Renegade have a heavy ply on the sidwall. Just do your research to ensure that you get the best tire that fits your needs.

#4007 - 02/19/11 07:21 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: Mcfly]
Wildhorse800 Offline

Loc: Between Bedford and Canada
Bighorns are definitely a good long lasting tire. I have had issues with the fronts going flat on me while in 4WD on the ITP rims.

We just put the regular Swamp Fox tires by AMS on the 500. I was really impressed with the way they worked in the snow. REALLY impressed...so much so when the Bighorns get replaced, I hope these tires are still around.

#4008 - 02/19/11 07:25 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: Mcfly]
Wildhorse800 Offline

Loc: Between Bedford and Canada
Alot of times you have to watch when talking about the "Ply" of a tire. Alot of manufacturers out there will state "My tire is 6 ply...blah blah blah" when in reality the only thing that is 6 ply is the tread portion of the tire. The sidewalls end up being 2 or 3 ply and end up getting all the damage. The sidewalls are what always concerns me on tires. Most of the time the tread bar can be patched or plugged but if you get a gash in the sidewall, it could be lights out for that tire.

That's what vulcanizing is for. Never gonna find an ATV tire with 6 ply sides. And while a radial will give you a smoother ride, most tire guys will still recommend bias for trail riding.

#4011 - 02/19/11 12:17 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: Wildhorse800]
Myleslong Offline

Originally Posted By: Wildhorse800

That's what vulcanizing is for. Never gonna find an ATV tire with 6 ply sides. And while a radial will give you a smoother ride, most tire guys will still recommend bias for trail riding.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Watch out your about to start a war between Radial Vs's Bias!!!! LOL!!! I'm on the side that like Bias tires, RADIAL SUCK!!!!!! BAH HA HA HA HA HA!!!
But I would buy those SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET Radial Pitbull ROCKERS though!

#4012 - 02/19/11 12:41 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
Mcfly Offline

Do you still have people that vulcanize tires around you? I have looked and cant find anyone to do it around me because of liability. Seems like vulcanizing is a thing of the past around my around and nobody does it anymore. Please PM me the place you use for vulcanizing. I have some rubber that is in deifinite need of it. I was gonna throw the tires out but if I can find someone to do it, I would make the trip to save 500 bucks worth of tires.

#4013 - 02/19/11 12:43 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: Myleslong]
Mcfly Offline

[/quote]WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Watch out your about to start a war between Radial Vs's Bias!!!! LOL!!! I'm on the side that like Bias tires, RADIAL SUCK!!!!!! BAH HA HA HA HA HA!!!
But I would buy those SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET Radial Pitbull ROCKERS though![/quote]

You just need to find something that your going to enjoy. For the average guy, either tire is going to do just fine. When you start taking them to the extremes is when you have to look at construction of the tire vs your needs.

Edited by Mcfly (02/19/11 12:44 PM)

#4033 - 02/20/11 11:47 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: Wildhorse800]
Wheelie man Offline
enthusiast

That's what vulcanizing is for.

I have a shop 3 miles from my house that does it an they do a great job.
01 Banshee
07 OutLaw 525 IRS
04 sportman 700
2010 Can-Am ds250

#6151 - 04/20/11 10:44 PM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: magoo]
magoo Offline
addict

OK!! The verdict is in.. I went with the Duro Power grips and a new set of ITP steel rims. Why steel? These are going to be my riding tires and rims..I Don't want to mess up my nice aluminum ones on the rocks. I am saving the old tires and rims for everyday riding. banana

#6171 - 04/21/11 03:10 AM Re: What tires do you like? [Re: Wheelie man]
turbo590 Offline

Loc: Carrolltown, Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Wheelie man
[quote=Mcfly]Alot of times you have to watch when talking about the "Ply" of a tire. Alot of manufacturers out there will state "My tire is 6 ply...blah blah blah" when in reality the only thing that is 6 ply is the tread portion of the tire. The sidewalls end up being 2 or 3 ply and end up getting all the damage. The sidewalls are what always concerns me on tires. Most of the time the tread bar can be patched or plugged but if you get a gash in the sidewall, it could be lights out for that tire.

That's what vulcanizing is for.

This is perfectly said....

When riding the Grizzly 700 this past fall down at Hatfield McCoy trails..a "sharp" rock, punctured the side wall of the ITP Mudlite XTR, 15 minutes into the ride...and being a brand new tire to boot..had to use a tube for the remainder of the trip..got home and didn't even think of using the "vulcanizing" avenue. I now know where to get this done (locally)...if needed in the future.

So when looking into some new "shoes" for my Polaris...I looked long and hard...and here was my choice..

26" EFX Moto MTC tires, with 14" MSA Patriot rims...a very nice combination...6ply all over....

If this doesn't work...I don't know what will....

Good thread....Kurt

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  padirtslinger 
ATVingPA.com Gear Here !

Stickers should be in stock around the start of 2014. Anyone who has stickers ordered will get them as soon as we get them in. Thanks for your patience.

Sponsor
Mud Pit

Mudders Online
0 Members (), 71 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
02660r (47), G194life (46), Milkman3371 (42)
Newest Members
ed zipp, CTD03, Terry Chapla, Abcd, natale19
1773 Registered Users
Sponsor News
Used TOY HAULER for sale:2015 Puma Unleashed 32TFB travel trailer RV
by Lerch RV
10/09/18 09:21 AM
Random Pictures
(Views)Popular Topics
Word Association 73470826
The Youtube thread 789919
August 24 - 26 Exclusive ATVingPa.com Weekend @ Scrubgrass Village 569285