PA's Online ATVing Resource
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#33369 - 05/31/13 07:25 AM Re: Tar Hollow Fun Run --June 2nd [Re: dirtfan07]
dirtfan07 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: NE Pennsylvania
One last bump up... will be away from the computer and getting ready for sunday.

This is a rain or shine event.

Hope to see you all there. Please introduce yourself/ say hello; my real name is Steve but I'll answer to Dirtfan, lol. I'll probably be the first person you see about the time you think your lost

I've earned the names "Treefan" and "Deerfan"...

#33383 - 05/31/13 04:15 PM Re: Tar Hollow Fun Run --June 2nd [Re: dirtfan07]
jimcb1 Offline
journeyman

Loc: pa
are they wide enough to fit a can-am commander side by side on

#33388 - 05/31/13 05:51 PM Re: Tar Hollow Fun Run --June 2nd [Re: dirtfan07]
SturdySteve936 Offline

Loc: Northeast
Yes...on the "EASY" trail, my Rhino fits so I believe your Commander will fit.

Some of the "hero" trails may be different. But keep in mind, this was a trail used 2 weeks ago for a jeep run. So, in theory, you should be fine...

And my name is Steve too, obviously. But Dirtfan Steve is tall/thin. I'm short/sturdy...

I too am going off the air for the weekend. I hope to see many PA plates!!!

Edited by Steve936 (05/31/13 05:53 PM)

#33433 - 06/02/13 09:07 PM Re: Tar Hollow Fun Run --June 2nd [Re: dirtfan07]
WHFR Offline
addict

Loc: Mount Joy PA
So everyone,how was the ride today? Any pics of our members who rode? worthless

#33438 - 06/02/13 11:47 PM Re: Tar Hollow Fun Run --June 2nd [Re: dirtfan07]
SturdySteve936 Offline

It was a great day. The weather was great. The trails were even better.

I did see a few pics being taken. Hopefully someone will be along shortly. I myself was too busy serving some chow and riding to take pics. I'd like to thank the few brave souls from this site and the others that weren't scared off and showed up. I believe they were rewarded justly. There was a bunch of hard work put in and it was nice to see some come out to enjoy it. For all those afraid by the weather reports, well shame on you. You missed an epic day.

DirtFan07 will report in shortly. He's taking a well deserved nap I'm sure...lol

#33445 - 06/03/13 08:08 AM Re: Tar Hollow Fun Run --June 2nd [Re: dirtfan07]
dirtfan07 Offline
enthusiast

Haha, yup, just got up from my nap. Now its time to go out and clean everything up. Be back later...

#33449 - 06/03/13 09:33 AM Re: Tar Hollow Fun Run --June 2nd [Re: dirtfan07]
DirtyDeed Offline
addict

Loc: Wind Gap, PA
Steve and Steve,

Thanks for setting this up. Matt (green King Quad) and I had an awesome ride and I think one of the Steve's hit the nail on the head....Epic! Y'all that didn't show up, well, you missed the best ride. Trails were unbelievable, The views, elevation changes, and trail conditions were fantastic...blow's away anything else I've ridden thus far.

I pretty much knew that it was going to be awesome when we hit the first Hero loop out of the parking lot and I saw the sign at the bottom of the hill that read "FLOOR IT". throttle bhead That was one ##CENSORED## bad ##CENSORED## hill!

Hopefully the land owner wasn't disappointed by the lack of turnout. Please tell him what a great time we had. I would certainly make this trip again if there is another ride. Next time, I'll bring a group.

Thanks again.

Steve (dirtydeed).

Edited by DirtyDeed (06/03/13 12:17 PM)

#33462 - 06/03/13 04:32 PM Re: Tar Hollow Fun Run --June 2nd [Re: dirtfan07]
mikeexplorer Online   content

Loc: Northeast, PA
It was a great day and ride, Hats off to Steve and Steve cheers
for putting this ride together. The trails were really nice and we did the loop twice.

I tried uploading the photoset to Facebook but its being a real pain. So here is the link to my Flickr album.

Tar Hollow ATV Ride Pictures

Enjoy!

Mike

Edited by mikeexplorer (06/03/13 04:33 PM)

#33463 - 06/03/13 05:13 PM Re: Tar Hollow Fun Run --June 2nd [Re: dirtfan07]
SturdySteve936 Offline

Thank you for the pics Mike.

Thank you to you & DirtyDeeds for including me in the words of "thanks" but really without joking, it was DirtFan07, his wife and his friend John that did everything.

If taking the opportunity to rack up the miles showing him and John around the property in the months leading up to the event count for something, then fine. You're welcome. But whether there was an event to plan or not, I was going to be out there riding anyway...Really I was a non-factor. The groundwork was laid by DF07 way before I came into the picture.

I hope word gets out what a great place it is to ride and have an event. I also hope that the if DF07 & the landowner agree to another event that it gets more traffic and it's worth their effort.

I saw nothing but smiles all day..well except on the kid on the 50cc Raptor with the blown rear.

Edited by Steve936 (06/03/13 05:15 PM)

#33474 - 06/03/13 09:49 PM Re: Tar Hollow Fun Run --June 2nd [Re: dirtfan07]
dirtfan07 Offline
enthusiast

Well, our first attempt at organizing a ride is in the books. Not sure what book to put it in just yet but I gotta thank some people:

The landowner: Great guy who is supportive of off-roaders. I can not thank him enough for letting me try this. Wish it would have turned out better for him.

Steve936: Your too modest!! I've called this "our" ride since . the beginning for a reason. I would have gone crazy if I didn't have you to bounce ideas off. Frankly, you believed in this idea when everyone thought I was nuts. If nothing else, I made a good friend outta all this.

My riding buddy Jon: Even though he thought I was nuts, he put up his own money in case it was a flop. He crashed his wheeler on one of the hero trails making sure it was cleared for the ride. I still had to force him to take his money back.

My wife and daughter: Made all the posters, fliers, and the facebook page.

Mikeexplorer: For the moral support and being the official-unofficial ride photogragher. Nice pic of my Big Red by the way, lol!!

That said, heres the bad: 23 people attended and the expenses were barely covered. I guarenteed the landwner he would not lose money and came WAY to close to having to pay him what the ride came up short. Considering I stood to gain nothing if a million people came, I thought I would get more support, especially from ATVingPa'ers. Honestly, their are over 1,000 members on this site and only 2 attend? I need to know why before I can even think about trying it again. Their were more attendees who saw it on Craigslist list than a dedicated ATV website?

The good. Those who did attend, all said it was great and they would do it again. You all were a AWESOME group, I cannot say that enough. You impressed the landowner, their were not serious accidents, everyone was respectful and had fun. I rode every inch of that trail again today and could not find a single piece of trash or spot where someone "tore up". For me, that re-affirmed the faith I have in atv'ers and gave me hope for future rides.

So, now I need to know what can be done to increase participation? Future rides are still a possibility

#33483 - 06/04/13 07:07 AM Re: Tar Hollow Fun Run --June 2nd [Re: dirtfan07]
alltorquedup Offline
Asst. Rep. region #6

Loc: Hershey, PA
Sorry, the weather forecast scared me away with having to drive 3 hours.

#33484 - 06/04/13 08:52 AM Re: Tar Hollow Fun Run --June 2nd [Re: dirtfan07]
dirtfan07 Offline
enthusiast

I get understand that ATU, I really do and I think a few others thought the same as you. I would have rescheduled based on the forcast if it were possible. The weather in this area is very unpredictable; it was a 70% chance of rain for the past 3 days and it only rained for 5 minutes. Forcasts for this rural of an area are practically worthless.

But you can see the problem. The expenses have to be paid long before the day of the ride. The date had to be set before even the longest range forcast was available and rescheduling isn't an option. If people are not going to attend based on weather, I'de be a fool to risk losing $600 when I gain nothing. So that leaves the situation at I don't risk, you don't risk, the landowner doesn't risk and then we have nothing. How's the old saying go "nothing ventured, nothing gained"?

I'm not picking on you ATU, just the weather argument. I was impressed that you planned on coming 3hrs for an unknown ride. Their are a lot of people much closer than you that didn't even plan to come.

#33485 - 06/04/13 09:03 AM Re: Tar Hollow Fun Run --June 2nd [Re: dirtfan07]
DirtyDeed Offline
addict

Loc: Wind Gap, PA
dirt,

I figured the weather had a lot to do with it. The report the night before was pretty awful (.25-.75 inches of rain expected). I didn't know that this ride was open to all and had thought it was for atvingpa only. Thankfully it wasn't. It doesn't seem like Region 3 of this forum is all too active, or, perhaps, most enjoy the coal dust rides. To each their own.

As I mentioned before, if you were planning another ride, I'd suggest that area atv dealers be notified. They all have some small informal riding groups looking for places to go? I would also think that "first time" rides are pretty tough, but subsequent rides would get better every year simply by word of mouth.

I really hope that the turnout for this event won't sour your effort. It was by far the best trail riding I've seen. I was grinning ear to ear the whole time. I'd be back anytime there is an opportunity to ride there.

#33486 - 06/04/13 10:03 AM Re: Tar Hollow Fun Run --June 2nd [Re: dirtfan07]
dirtfan07 Offline
enthusiast

It's funny you mention that DD cause when you got back from your first loop and I saw that grin, that was the first sign of hope I had for future rides. Glad you guys had a good time. Thank you for being such good representatives of the ATVing community. The landowner is open to the idea of future ATV events solely because of how you, your buddy, and everyone else who attended handled themselves.

#33497 - 06/04/13 06:16 PM Re: Tar Hollow Fun Run --June 2nd [Re: dirtfan07]
mikeexplorer Online   content

Loc: Northeast, PA
I think because it was a first time event not many people would be willing to roll the dice on an unknown ride, especially those who have a far drive. The weather was no doubt a factor but living in the NEPA area, just like Hancock, the forecasts are very unreliable. It rained on us for about 5 minutes and that was it. There was predictions for the past few days prior to the ride about storms, and nothing happened.

Thankfully your costs were covered so you were not in the red, if a future ride is planned, it is a good bet attendance will be better. I have seen it before that the first time event will have the least turnout and subsequent years, the attendance gets better as word of mouth and such spreads.

I am glad the pictures helped. I uploaded 28 or so of them, but I took a total of 99 (after tossing the blurry & bad shots) if you think they could be helpful for future advertising, I can share the whole album to you to use for promoting a future event.

Again, thanks for the great ride and hope it happens again

Mike

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  padirtslinger 
ATVingPA.com Gear Here !

Stickers should be in stock around the start of 2014. Anyone who has stickers ordered will get them as soon as we get them in. Thanks for your patience.

AD
Mud Pit

Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
ed zipp, CTD03, Terry Chapla, Abcd, natale19
1773 Registered Users
Random Pictures
Sponsor
Forum Stats
1773 Members
81 Forums