09/29/13 11:59 PM
09/29/13 11:59 PM
Montville, Ohio
D
DJSATVADVENTURES Offline OP
DJSATVADVENTURES  Offline OP
D

Montville, Ohio
Just got home this evening from 2 days at this place, WOW what a place this is !

We have traveled and road trails in 12 or more states and I must say this is for sure in our top 5 places to ride at. Trails everywhere.

PROS:
Very well marked trail systems, easy to follow and reminder markers all along each trail with mile markers and trail name, you really dont even need a map at all, great job on making it very clear where each trail goes. We clocked that they have 118 miles of trails and there was a few we didnt even get to.
Great people, went out of there way to make sure we had a great time, very friendly and eager to help. The scenery is awesome to say the least. Windy twisty trails all the way to hard core rocks, off camber, major and minor hill climbs, woods runs, mud bogs and much more.
A variety of trail conditions and types, there is something for everyone.
Pressure washer station to wash your machines and very helpful staff. Great camping areas also rv sites with water and power, very clean place and they seem to be very organized.

CONS:

A bit rocky in places on the easy trails, could use some grooming ( I am told they are working on it and will continue to do so.)
A bit tight in places for a sxs, but we made it through every trail and only wedged ourselves between 2 trees once, not bad.

No food on for sale on site, be prepared and bring your own.
We really dont have any other cons that we can think of at all, A great place that we will for sure go back to more often.

This place is really not meant for beginners though, even the green trails have some spots that for a newbie may give them some trouble.
Blue trails are true blues and the blacks are true black trails, we like hard trails so this place was the bomb!

Was nice to meet and ride with Bob and Brian ( and friends ), had a great time !

Darin & DJ.

Last edited by DJSATVADVENTURES; 09/30/13 12:09 AM.

2014 Can-Am Maverick 1000 X RS DPS, many add ons....
2013 Can-Am XMR 1000 / a few mods...
http://www.facebook.com/DJsATVAdventuresandAutism
Re: Mountain Ridge ATV Park ride review [Re: DJSATVADVENTURES] #35801
09/30/13 12:07 AM
09/30/13 12:07 AM
Montville, Ohio
D
D

Montville, Ohio
One last con , lol...we bent a tie rod on the maverick on a black trail today, but were able to get back to trailer and switch machines.....

Re: Mountain Ridge ATV Park ride review [Re: DJSATVADVENTURES] #35802
09/30/13 12:12 AM
09/30/13 12:12 AM
Red Lion, Pa. York County
TwoBuells Offline
TwoBuells  Offline

Red Lion, Pa. York County
great place to ride, I was there twice last year, going again in Oct

Last edited by TwoBuells; 09/30/13 12:14 AM.

Better to be a Racer for a moment, Than a Spectator for a lifetime.
Current Rides. Can Am Renegade 1000X xc, Buell Ulysses, Buell 1125R, Yamaha WR250R
Re: Mountain Ridge ATV Park ride review [Re: DJSATVADVENTURES] #35842
10/02/13 12:44 AM
10/02/13 12:44 AM
York, PA
B
bpc50 Offline
stranger
bpc50  Offline
stranger
B

York, PA
Rode Mountain Ridge on Sat. Met Darin/DJ and Bob/kids from this forum, nice guys, both clearly beyond passionate about riding, that's a good thing! Sorry we didn't ride with you guys much (at all), my rookies were a little intimidated to be holding you up Darin, and just didn't want to learn with an audience this time out. Anyway, a quick review, this from the perspective of me, a fast experienced trail rider on a dirt bike, and my riding partners, slow rookie utility quad riders...ie, wide range of perspective, but the primary perspective being from a dirt bike/sport quad guy who prefers fast trail riding...so keep that in mind as you read. If you love mud bogs and slow rock crawling, my write up is probably value-less to you.

Overall, very positive, we will be back, this is the type of place that is well worth the 2.5 hour trip once or twice a year for us. Easy ride out the turnpike to Bedford, fuel and food in Bedford, 25 more minutes west on Rt30 to Mountain Ridge, a couple of steep grades up and down, so be ready if you are hauling a trailer with a lighter truck/heavier load. 2500 acres, at least 100 miles of trails, those stats are accurate, this place is pretty big, hilly, a more woodsy than I was anticipating. This would be a great place to camp for a night and ride two days. And $20 to ride the whole day, great. Check in took about 10 seconds. Good mix of ATV's and bikes, and a few UTV's, trails were well suited to both. Even had a good bit of bike singletrack that I'd like to explore next time (hopefully real trails, not rock gardens). We rode basically all day and didn't ride half the trails. As Darin said, great mix of trails. Not overcrowded. Not dusty (even though it hasn't rained much lately). Not too rocky. Lots of hills, water holes, some mud, real dirt (not coal dust, finally!), tight trails with lots of turns, and some longer flowing trails. I was impressed by the vast variety of trail types, there was truly a little bit of everything. Not as many rocks as some places I've been, even on the YZ250 which is notoriously horrible in rocks, I never had an issue. There were some cool rock gardens on some blue trails that the quad guys loved, a decent amount of water/mud (not a ton for true mud lovers, but that's not us). I'd have probably had some trouble on the dirt bike, on some of the blue trails, had it been any wetter (and it hasn't rained much lately), so that's something to consider if we go back after a lot of rain. Shamrock was our favorite trail, awesome! Nice people, nobody checked our machines for anything. The new guys on the quads described the experience as "epic" each time we stopped, and they had an amazing time. Loved it, best time they ever had. That was the type of commentary that guys who have no basis for comparison (other than Michaux) offer. And they thought this place was 10 times better than Michaux. I liked it about the same as RAC, less than Hatfield (of course), but way better than any of the PA state park type properties I've been too. Lots of cool little extras, tent camping (more in the woods), plenty of RV/trailer camping with electric (field, not woods, might be windy, as it's up on the exposed ridge), a drag strip, mud bog, snacks, firewood. Cool scenery, lots of deep woods, some ponds, meadows, saw lots of big deer and turkeys, vistas, MUCH more woodsy and scenic than the somewhat wasteland feeling you get at RAC type places in coal country. And most of all, we felt totally safe and wanted there (both unlike at RAC), once my kid is a little older, I'd have no concerns with him riding safely here without any trouble.

Some negatives if I have to come up with some. A bit rocky, especially on Easy trails (kid bikes and rocks don't mix), but I hear they are continuing to groom (I hope that means removing rocks). Not as many long/flowing/fast trails as I love (like Hatfield)...personal opinion (I like flowing in third gear for miles on rolling terrain like is possible at Hatfield all day long). On one hand this place kind of reminds me of Majestic/Lost Trails up near Bradford (1000 acres/40 miles of trails) where they cram as many miles of trails into their acreage, and do so by cramming so many super sharp turns in that you never get out of 2nd gear...or 1st. That said, this place is way bigger, so yes they have alot of 1st and 2nd gear trails sections, but then it's big enough where things straighten out a bit, to allow for a varied ride. The quad guys didn't care about that, they were fine going slower. I agree with another reviewer who said something about a rough ride for kids on small machines, yeah I'm not sure my 8 year old on his TTR90 would be okay here, there were some pretty steep hills even on easy trails, a good bit of rocks, and some steep hills there's no way he could get up (but that stuff was fun for we adults!) and sometimes you had to go through a blue to get to a green, and some advertised greens just ended and all of a sudden you were on blue. So, not sure it's the greatest place for real young kids, but for me I'm thinking next year by the time my boy is 9, he'll be ready.

I suppose the best compliment is, that we will be back, probably again in the spring, and will probably stay over night and ride it two days. I see us throwing this one into the rotation once or twice annually.

'08 Raptor 700 - my utility quad until I can afford a utility quad
'05 YZ250 - still can't get enough of that sweet blue smoke
'14 Grizzly 450 - sharing with older son, finally a built in riding partner
'02 TTR90 - the little guys
Re: Mountain Ridge ATV Park ride review [Re: DJSATVADVENTURES] #36902
03/30/14 09:15 PM
03/30/14 09:15 PM
johnstown pa
C
cuffs98 a.k.a.11grizz450 Offline
enthusiast
cuffs98 a.k.a.11grizz450  Offline
enthusiast
C

johnstown pa
anyone interested in riding mt ridge gimmie a hollar . i live relatively close. i dont get there too often.

2012 Yamaha grizzly 550 EPS (green)
STILL looking for a winch i want !
55in eagle front mount plow (yellow)
Tri-County ATV
Re: Mountain Ridge ATV Park ride review [Re: DJSATVADVENTURES] #36910
03/30/14 09:50 PM
03/30/14 09:50 PM
Montville, Ohio
D
D

Montville, Ohio
We are heading back soon, figuring out some dates yet, love this place

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  padirtslinger 

ATVingPA.com Gear Here !

Stickers should be in stock around the start of 2014. Anyone who has stickers ordered will get them as soon as we get them in. Thanks for your patience.

AD
ShoutChat Box
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
ed zipp, CTD03, Terry Chapla, Abcd, natale19
1773 Registered Users
Random Pictures
Sponsor
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics5,071