PA's Online ATVing Resource
Recently Posted
Any cabin or acreage owners with advice?
by mikeexplorer
11/15/18 07:08 AM
Regional News and Info
Upcoming Rides and Events
Newly Added Topics
Any cabin or acreage owners with advice?
by Darkstorm
09/29/18 05:45 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#39114 - 08/18/15 11:37 PM potter county / potter county family campground.
jrl73 Offline
stranger

Loc: NJ
Looking for advice for coming out to ride the potter county trails and stay a couple nights at the campground. From what I heard there are 43 miles of easy smooth trails, which is great for my 2 young daughters. Can anyone confirm what the trails are like and how the camping is at potter county family campground? thanks

#39116 - 08/19/15 10:30 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
tenpoint12 Offline
stranger

Loc: kintnersville pa
The 43 miles of state trails in potter county are the smoothest trails you will find anywhere, no ruts, no mud holes, no rocks, just super smooth trails with no obstacles, perfect for your young daughters. There is also many miles of township roads that are legal to ride. The potter county family campground is very nice and you can access the trails right from the campground. Call ahead to the campground as they tend to fill up on most weekends with other riders. If the campground is full you might want to check out the potato city motor inn which is located right across the road from the campground, they have rooms and they also have a few small apartments behind the inn that they rent out on a nightly or weekly basis, I prefer the apartments over the rooms as they have a kitchen, grill, a small porch and fire ring with free wood. If you go during the week you will most likely be the only guest at the inn, during the weekend there will be other riders there. No matter which accommodations you choose you and your girls will enjoy yourselves up there.

2010 Honda Rancher ES... my ride
2012 Honda Rancher AT...wife's ride

#39118 - 08/20/15 11:32 AM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
jimcb1 Offline
journeyman

Loc: pa
will a side by side fit on those trails 64" wide

#39119 - 08/20/15 05:03 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
mikeexplorer Offline

Loc: Northeast, PA
No, the gates are not large enough for 64 inches. Some have bypasses so you might be ok. The gate at Lyman run state park has been left open.

We were at Potter County last week. Good riding.

Mike

#39121 - 08/21/15 01:04 AM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
dsrider Offline
journeyman

Loc: Westmoreland County
Can someone explain something to me? I will be buying a sxs tis winter. I prefer the wider machines since the suspension is much more comfortable. I want to able to ride state forest trails and ANF. Some people say that they ride Rzr 1000 and others say no way they fit. you get a hundred different answers.

#39126 - 08/21/15 03:39 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
rjk2k7 Offline

Been riding up there for years we own a camp not to far from the camp grounds. The state trails are very easy for your daughters nothing tricky at all, but they do get dusty at times. And "dsrider" I am in the same boat as you I just test drove a new maverick today fell in love, but it is well over 60 inches. DCNR webpage states gates are 58 inches wide. I will be going up next week and I will take a stroll through the camp ground see if I spot any mavericks or razor 1000s and ask if they fit or not. I know a commander will fit as I have seen a few on the trails. But there are tons and tons of trails other than denton hill you can explore.

#39135 - 08/25/15 04:37 AM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
dsrider Offline
journeyman

Rjk2k7, I have had conversations with people about this. I am interested in riding ANF which is Marienville, Timberline and Rocky Gap. I also want to be able to ride Michaux state forest, Sidling Hill, Martin Hill, Potter County and maybe a couple other state forest trails. I have messages from people that say that their friends ride RZR 1000 on all ANF trails except the bike loop. Then a friend told me today that his 50" barely fits. Then I have seen pics of 60 plus inch sxs going through the gates at different state forest trails. Then others say no. I am buying a sxs this winter. It will mostly be for my parents. My dad actually likes the bigger sport machines like the rzr s and the bigger ones and the wildcat. The wider ones are more stable. I also read on a forum where a guy called the dcnr and asked why they haven't widened the gates. They said not enough people have complained for them to worry about widening them. I am sure that the riding groups in this state would be willing to volunteer labor to widen them if it benefits all of us.

#39136 - 08/25/15 04:41 AM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
dsrider Offline
journeyman

I am lucky enough that I live in western pa so there is 7 private ride parks that are within 1.5-2 hours from me but the state and national forest trails are nice trails for my parents and I want them to be able to enjoy them.

#39177 - 09/01/15 12:32 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
rjk2k7 Offline

hey dsrider we were up to potter this last weekend took a ride on state trails first gate we came across took out the tape measure it read 72 inches inside to inside, the next after was about 66, we didn't go any farther as we rode north and to the west. I have a hard time believing it myself but the numbers don't lie, not sure if other gates are tighter I know DCNR website states 58 inches. Also I did not see any wide UTVS around no mavericks or rzr1000 most I saw were the 800s and smaller utv/sxs. What ds are you riding on a 450 or 650?

#39181 - 09/02/15 02:15 AM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
dsrider Offline
journeyman

It is a DS 650. I still have it but I recently bought my buddies Brute Force 750. Time to ride the 4x4s. State dcnr trails would actually be nice for the sport quad cause I have heard that they are smoother fast paced trails. I am gonna be buying a sxs this winter. That's why I asked about gate width. I like the wider machines because they are much more comfortable. The suspension on the little 50" rzr is pretty rough riding. I have heard that they don't push the width limit so if your machine fits, they won't say anything. What do you have?

#39182 - 09/02/15 12:48 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
rjk2k7 Offline

Also have a ds 650 awesome for the state trails pretty good on gas but always in the back of my mind when going exploring up there, I just put on a few goodies runs great

#39183 - 09/02/15 12:50 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
rjk2k7 Offline

#39184 - 09/02/15 11:06 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
dsrider Offline
journeyman

Yeah. Nice ds. I got tired of trying to keep up with the 4x4 quads in the rutted out muddy trails especially not having reverse. From what I have heard, state forest dcnr trails and ANF trails are nice and well suited to a sport quad. I like opening the ds up on nice trails. I had it at hatfield and although it was too muddy when we went, it was nice to open it up one those wide open trails. What all dcnr run trails have you been too?

#39185 - 09/02/15 11:12 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
dsrider Offline
journeyman

My DS is in pretty good condition but I am gonna do a few things to fix it up over winter. I am gonna fabricate some new heel guards for it. Not sure if you are on Facebook but there is an excellent group on there called ds 650 owners. Check it out

#39195 - 09/08/15 07:50 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
rjk2k7 Offline

We only ever ran the potter dcnr trails and once in a spot in the poconos, poconos was very very bad all rocky no good for sport so we turned around and left. Ds is a great machine but as you said limitations in the mud for sure, still have a lot of fun but better have a 4x4 with winch to dig you out (been there done that haha). Got off Facebook a few years ago but there is also a great ds website called ds 650.org mostly west coast guys but still
Have tons of great info if your looking to any performance mods in the future. I always looked for a nice set of aluminum heel guards never found a pair good luck and enjoy season almost over almost time to get the sleds out

#39196 - 09/08/15 11:28 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
dsrider Offline
journeyman

Yes I am on ds650.org . Haven't been on in a while. I only do Facebook for the riding sites and shooting sites. Don't get into all the other drama. I haven't got to ride much at all this year and it's almost over already. I have never ridden any dcnr trail. Definitely want to next year. Still haven't made up my mind on a sxs yet. I don't do the sled thing. Don't get enough snow in sw pa to justify.

#39542 - 04/01/16 12:56 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
KCCA Offline
stranger

Loc: SWPA
Abbot twp roads in potter county are now open to ATV travel.

#39673 - 06/06/16 01:01 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
rjk2k7 Offline

Old thread I know but wanted to update. Ending up getting a mav xxc 60 inches and have extended mud flaps stick out about 2-3 inches past wheels. Rode Denton hill this past weekend the maverick fit through every gate(didn't go through rock run gate only bc I didn't go that way but assuming it will fit) some were very tight but made it without any rubs or hitting. Don't think the regular maverick will work

#39679 - 06/08/16 12:52 AM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
dsrider Offline
journeyman

Glad to see you update. What makes you think the regular maverick wont fit? Your old post you said you measured the gates and they measure 72". Mavericks are only 64". I just bought a Wildcat 1000 that is 64". Hope to ride it on some trails. I talked to some people that say most state and national forest trails they fit with the 64" machines. Id like to hit some of the state trails this year and ANF.

#39682 - 06/08/16 08:16 AM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
rjk2k7 Offline

No problem and well it just very well fit I am going off just my eyeball test when I went through the gates with the xxc. I only measure the first gate I came up to not all of them, most of them I passed through I had plenty of room, but a few were on the tight side, but you may be good I have mirrors and extended mud flaps that added a few inches to the sides and I was fine. If it makes you feel any better on my way back I did see a wildcat 1000 heading to the trails so I would assume he fit without any issues. While we were up there we also took a trip out to ANF. Great place to ride, gates over there and some of the bridges seemed tighter than the state trails at potter, fit through all the gates some were very tight but made it. I also hear that people with razor 1000 and regular size mavericks fit over on ANF as well so you should be good to go.

#39688 - 06/09/16 04:56 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
topgun Offline

Loc: W PA
I can confirm 100% that a Maverick or XP1000 will fit everywhere a SXS is allowed to go at the ANF. That is all of Timberline, the ATV Loop except for the Pigs Ear switchback (no class 2 allowed), and the trail that leads down to the Bike Trail and out onto the road that goes up to the Forest Lodge. The Bike Trail is a no go to all SXS including the 50" class 1 models. As long as your Wildcat is around 64", you should be good to go. The tightest spot I have found is the gate just before entering the Timberline pond play area. There is a post on one side, a big rock on the other. Fits but is tight so keep your machine lined up straight. There is a couple of inches on each side on the bridges. Keep an eye out for rocks that are at most all entrances from road crossings and the parking lots. They have been doing a good job painting them bright red or orange but as the summer goes on, they can become hidden under the weeds. They are plenty wide, just something to be aware of.

Some people from New York I talked to had mentioned their favorite place to ride was the Potato City area. Said their XP1000 fit with no problems. No first hand experience there yet though.

Also Snow Shoe recently widened all of their gates. They were 61", as of mid April all are 65".

#39689 - 06/09/16 05:05 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
topgun Offline

Just noticed that the ANF has updated their website, says 64" max on the trails I mentioned above. Bike Trail is still 50" max, no SXS of any kind.

Edited by topgun (06/09/16 05:07 PM)

#39692 - 06/13/16 12:34 AM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
dsrider Offline
journeyman

Appreciate the info guys. Hope to see you on the trails some day. If my dad isnt going, I would probably be on my Brute Force since I prefer quads over sxs. Hopefully maybe a Can Am Renegade 1000. I dont care much for this Brute but its something to ride so not complaining much. I want to hit ANF soon. I have a buddy with a camp in Tidioute so hopefully get up there soon. I have been riding pay to ride parks and today I rode local trails that are sketchy (not legal) and I just found that even though I am not old, as i get older, I just prefer not to look over my shoulder anymore. The trails arent nice enough for the risk. I just prefer to go to a place where I can relax. A few years ago, it didnt bother me at all. I just wish the Rangers didnt ticket people for going too fast at ANF like I have heard. I dont ride 65mph down every trail but I like to scoot along once in a while.

#39708 - 06/14/16 10:19 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
rjk2k7 Offline

Good to hear all this feedback as well I guess my eye ball test is more on the conservative side when it comes to these gates. As far as the rangers this is only one time experience with me, we rode there on a Friday during the day we did not see a single ranger out there at all. The trails on the marion loop you don't have to worry about going to fast because they are very rough back woods trails with mud and rocks. The other side is nice open roads which you can open it up some but we took the sxs there and were not much of speed demons in that and keep it on the slower side. IMO the rangers should be the least of your worries I think you have a greater chance of getting a flat from the rocks then being hassled by the rangers.

#39714 - 06/15/16 04:36 PM Re: potter county / potter county family campground. [Re: jrl73]
topgun Offline

We see the rangers all the time. Mostly checking that you have the proper permit. It must be stuck to the machine, not zip tied or in your box. They can ticket you for that. But as long as you aren't being stupid and are respectful, there shouldn't be any issues whatsoever. They will gladly talk to you about any issues you see on the trails or just to BS.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  padirtslinger 
ATVingPA.com Gear Here !

Stickers should be in stock around the start of 2014. Anyone who has stickers ordered will get them as soon as we get them in. Thanks for your patience.

AD
Mud Pit

Mudders Online
0 Members (), 69 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
lissamcfee (36), Southern's Third Wife (55)
Newest Members
ed zipp, CTD03, Terry Chapla, Abcd, natale19
1773 Registered Users
Sponsor News
Random Pictures
(Views)Popular Topics
Word Association 73732021
The Youtube thread 797461
August 24 - 26 Exclusive ATVingPa.com Weekend @ Scrubgrass Village 575835
Welcome To ATVingPA.com 429793
ATVingPa.com group ride at AOAA ROLL CALL 422293
ANF ANNUAL WINTER RIDE 2-5-11 367444