PA's Online ATVing Resource
Recently Posted
Regional News and Info
Upcoming Rides and Events
Newly Added Topics
Topic Options
Hop to:
#40302 - 09/29/18 05:45 PM Any cabin or acreage owners with advice?
Darkstorm Offline

Loc: Allegheny County, PA
I'm looking to buy some land for a cabin, or permanent camping site. Ideally, I'd like to be close to some trails, but really like remote quiet spots. I however have to compromise a little with my wife, kids, etc.. If it were just me I'd love 20+ acres in the middle of nowhere. Family however wants to be near some kind of town or campground kind of vibe.

So any of you that own some retreat property, where are you at, and how do you like your setup? I know it's a little vague and open ended, but I am really up for anything that gives me bang for the buck, and if I can find a sweet spot that's secluded but close to trails, or some swimming holes, family stuff, etc., big bonus.

#40303 - 10/01/18 12:36 PM Re: Any cabin or acreage owners with advice? [Re: Darkstorm]
rjk2k7 Offline

lots and lots of options really depends on what you and your family wants/needs are and how much you want to spend. An option would be to get a pull behind rv/toy hauler that way you could stay at any camp you want, there are several private communes in pa that are on a lake. We have a place in potter county its great, access right on the trails ride to and from and town is not far, don't have a lot of acres but its so quiet you don't hear a thing but the outdoors at night! If you want to ride mostly atv stay secluded and stay in pa, potter county is the place to do it, but if you family is into other things going to lakes, touring hiking and not staying in one location maybe looking into a pulll behind is right for you?

#40305 - 11/13/18 10:29 AM Re: Any cabin or acreage owners with advice? [Re: rjk2k7]
Darkstorm Offline

Loc: Allegheny County, PA
I am looking at the pull behind/toy hauler option. Honestly, the way things are going in society as a whole has us in a big family battle right now. We have friends that lost relatives in the latest shooting in Pittsburgh here. Our school district has had 4 kids killed due to gang violence this year. We have numerous times been snarled up in traffic while protesters shut down roads calling for police to be indicted.

If it were up to me, we would be gone. I'd uproot right now and happily move to Elk, Potter, or some other rural area and forget all this city stuff. My wife however thinks keeping the kids in their district is more important. Ugh! One of us will have to give in eventually. Sorry to vent....but man, I miss the days when cell phones didn't exist and people actually just went outside and enjoyed themselves.

#40306 - 11/15/18 07:08 AM Re: Any cabin or acreage owners with advice? [Re: Darkstorm]
mikeexplorer Offline

Loc: Northeast, PA
A lot of the big cities have problems with crime and I would never live there. I live in a small town, close to everything I need but not a big city. The larger city near me has problems with crime and high taxes, but not as bad as you described.

Mike

Moderator:  padirtslinger 
ATVingPA.com Gear Here !

Stickers should be in stock around the start of 2014. Anyone who has stickers ordered will get them as soon as we get them in. Thanks for your patience.

AD
Mud Pit

Mudders Online
0 Members (), 87 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
lissamcfee (36), Southern's Third Wife (55)
Newest Members
ed zipp, CTD03, Terry Chapla, Abcd, natale19
1773 Registered Users
Sponsor News
Random Pictures
(Views)Popular Topics
Word Association 73732021
The Youtube thread 797461
August 24 - 26 Exclusive ATVingPa.com Weekend @ Scrubgrass Village 575835
Welcome To ATVingPA.com 429793
ATVingPa.com group ride at AOAA ROLL CALL 422293
ANF ANNUAL WINTER RIDE 2-5-11 367444